The best way to gain weight is to create a calorie surplus, meaning you eat more calories than your body needs. You can determine your calorie needs using a calorie calculator. If you want to gain weight slowly and steadily, aim for 300–500 calories more than you burn each day according to the calculator. If you want to gain weight fast, aim for around 700–1,000 calories above your maintenance level.
Here are some other tips for gaining weight in a healthy way:
- Eat more frequently. Aim to eat 5–6 smaller meals throughout the day.
- Choose calorie-dense foods. These are foods that are high in calories but also contain nutrients. Some examples include nuts, seeds, avocados, whole grains, eggs, and dairy products.
- Add extras to your meals. This could include adding cheese to your pasta, peanut butter to your toast, or avocado to your eggs.
- Drink high-calorie beverages. This could include smoothies, shakes, or milk.
- Strength train. Strength training can help you build muscle, which will help you gain weight.
It is important to note that gaining weight too quickly can be unhealthy. It is best to aim for a gradual weight gain of 1–2 pounds per week.
If you are struggling to gain weight, it is a good idea to talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian. They can help you create a plan that is right for you.
Here are some additional tips for gaining weight in a healthy way:
- Eat plenty of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue. Aim for 0.8–1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight each day.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for muscle growth and repair. Aim for 7–8 hours of sleep each night.
- Manage stress. Stress can interfere with appetite and weight gain. Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as yoga, meditation, or spending time in nature.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to gain weight in a healthy and sustainable way.